Friday, July 22, 2011

As Goes Lian Harper, So Goes.......?

At the San Diego Comic-Con yesterday, Dan DiDio made a few pronouncements regarding the fates of Lian Harper and Wally West in the rebooted DCnU. Read 'em and weep.


Literally.


On Wally West:

As for former Flash Wally West, there are apparently no plans right now to include him in Flash, although they didn't rule out his inclusion in other titles. When asked when we'd see him again, DiDio didn't hold out much hope, saying that they wanted to focus on Barry to make it easier for new readers. When the questioner pointed out that they were keeping around all four Robins, he said it was simply a creative decision they made.  


It's even worse for Lian Harper fans:

On Arsenal and Lian Harper: Because they want to return characters to younger incarnations, Arsenal is now too young to have had children, so Lian Harper no longer exists.


Combine that with Donna Troy's post-Flushpoint MIA status and the Teen Titans reboot.


All this leads me to one conclusion:


Odds are that two fellow ex-Titan offspring will be keeping poor Lian company in The Land of "Never Was":

Jai West

And.....


Irey West aka Impulse II

And I've also got a bad feeling that their mother (and Wally's wife) Linda Park will be chaperoning them there.


I hope I'm wrong, but I've got a strong feeling I'm not.


Between this, Cass Cain getting benched post-Flushpoint, and the recent "matchboxing" of Ryan Choi, I'm thinking DC's "target audience" DOESN'T include Asian readers.

6 Comments:

At 5:19 PM , Blogger Scott said...

On one hand, I don't think your suppositions go far enough -- I think there are vast numbers of characters, ranging from popular ones to cult faves, who are going to be either abandoned or killed off in humiliating fashions, just to drive the point home that the New DC is all psychotic, all the time.

On the other, I also get the feeling that this can't last. The entire reboot is a radical change in tone and mood, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see it all undone in six months, either with DiDio claiming it was planned that way from the beginning, or with DiDio, Johns, and Lee taking early retirement to let someone else take the reins.

Still, it's a damn depressing time to be a comics fan.

 
At 5:34 PM , Blogger Siskoid said...

I guess they still have Katana.

But since I hate all things Outsiders...

...(except characters that started out elsewhere of course)...

...that's hardly a comfort.

 
At 9:24 PM , Blogger snell said...

Not to say "I told you so," but I've been predicting this limbo for Wally for years now, and everyone kept saying "no, it won't happen." Sadly, I was right.

 
At 6:35 AM , Blogger SallyP said...

Sadly, I fear that you are correct. We haven't seen Wally and family in quite some time now...and Linda and the kids are probably going into limbo.

However, I have heard a rumor that Ryan Choi MAY be coming back, which would give me great joy. Still...they seem to dumping a lot of characters and a lot of stories, and the time line is just insane.

 
At 6:31 PM , Blogger ShellyS said...

Yeah, I figured there was never a Lian in the DCnU. Roy is nearly unrecognizable, and it seems he'll be younger than Dick and by more than a year, which if true, is just weird.

They've been too glib with their answers. No Wally for now to make it easier for new readers, but 4 Robins is a creative choice? Give me an f'in break. Everything is a creative choice. What we want is the reasoning behind those choices and even clarification of the choices.

Even with characters I love coming back, ie Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle, it won't be the same Jaime as before, near as I can tell, and he'll be existing in a universe that I don't like, so I don't see the point in reading about him.

But then, I'm clearly not in the desired demographic: 58-year-old white female superhero fan. feh

 
At 4:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your stars-and-garters.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://magic-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://magic-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend Jennifer

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home