Monday, June 23, 2008

Death of a Comedy Hero

Not a good month for my boyhood comedy icons. First, it's Harvey Korman, and now George Carlin has died....oh, sorry, "passed away" from heart failure at the age of 71.

While other comedians of the era used blue humor as a crutch, Carlin wielded it like a virtuoso playing a violin. Here are some memorable Carlinian one-liners:

"A man attempting to walk around the world... drowned today."

"Got into an argument with my Rice Krispies. I distinctly heard "Snap - Crackle - Fuck him!"

"What was the greatest thing before sliced bread?"

"Isn't it unnerving when doctors call what they do "practice"?

" I remember something my grandfather once told me. He said 'Kid, I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother.' Gramps was always an honest kind of guy."

"Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?"

So long, George. Hope you've found that final place for your stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home